Mr Milburn began his career as a Drama teacher at Breeze Hill School in Oldham in 1988 before being appointed as the Co-ordinator for Creative and Media Arts at Oldham Sixth Form College, where he progressed to become Assistant Principal. He worked as Deputy Headteacher at Brigshaw School, Leeds from 1997 and gained his first headship in 2003 at Kingstone School close to the centre of Barnsley in South Yorkshire. In 2011 he took up his second headship, at Saddleworth School in Oldham.
As well as being a Headteacher he is Chair of the Oldham Secondary Heads group and in 2017 he became a National Leader of Education.
Matthew will be Chair of the IEB and his role is:
- To ensure that the IEB functions effectively as a challenge and support in accelerating the school’s progress.
- To ensure that the IEB fulfils all its legal responsibilities as governing body.
- To liaise with the LA, the Department for Education and other external bodies and to ensure that this liaison is transparent and accounted for to the IEB.
- Calling leadership to account at all levels.
- Addressing the schools priorities.
Matthew will be supported in this role by Gerri Barry (Interim School Performance Specialist: Governance)
The IEB (or IEB chair) is to determine how the Chair’s action matters from the Headteacher will be directed.
Martine Buckley - Vice Chair
Martine Buckley has been a Headteacher for 20 years, initially as Head of a Junior School and in 2002 she successfully amalgamated the school with its feeder Infant School.
Since 2009 Martine has been a National leader of Education, working with and sometimes leading schools in challenging circumstances. In 2012 the governors and Martine were asked by the LA to federate with a school that had been unable to recruit a Head. This school is doing well and has a good Ofsted judgement.
Claire Taylor is the Manager of Oldham Council’s Jigsaw Team which provides behaviour management advice to schools and was formerly Assistant Headteacher at Springbrook School. Claire would provide the link between the IEB and LA.
Claire’s role is:
- To ensure that there is statutory compliance around regular attendance and safeguarding.
Denah Jones is a former experienced HMI who is supporting the IEB as part of the EACT due diligence process. Dena offers a high level of experience in Mathematics teaching and learning interventions. Denah is currently a non voting member of the IEB
Joe Brownridge is a senior colleague from the Operations team at EACT who is supporting the IEB as part of the EACT due diligence process.
Joe is currently a non voting member of the IEB.
Neil is an experienced Headteacher who has removed several schools from Requiring Improvement. He is experienced in change management and whilst Neil is not a voting member of the IEB, the Headteacher is invited to all meetings unless the subject matter of the meeting precludes this.
Neil’s role is:
- To work with the IEB as with the previous governing body.
- To provide information to the IEB as and when requested.
- To support the work of individual members acting on behalf of the IEB.
The IEB may at any point, request that the LA may appoint additional members and make any arrangements it sees fit for the discharge of any its functions by any other person.